MENA and Arab Spring: Seven Ideas for Economic Progress
Nearly one year after the start of the Arab Spring, Michael O’Sullivan, head of portfolio strategy and thematic research at Credit Suisse, spoke on the topic at the CFA Institute Middle East Investment Conference in Qatar on 26 March 2012. As part of his presentation, O’Sullivan shared seven ideas to spur economic progress in the Middle East and North Africa region:
- Make use of finance through Islamic finance and Mediterranean investment banks.
- Unlock human capital by having more women join the work force.
- Get more out of social media and mobile technology.
- Invest in infrastructure, including rail and shipping links.
- Boost trade.
- Develop a panregional body to help protect the region from financial crises.
- Set up new institutions for arbitration and harmonization of different laws.
In May 2012, we caught up with O’Sullivan again in London to learn more about these seven ideas. Watch this video interview with O’Sullivan in which he explains his ideas in further detail.