Practical analysis for investment professionals
12 February 2015

Poll: Who Should Bear the Primary Responsibility for a Well-Funded Retirement?

Faced with the challenge of living off their assets for 30-plus years after their working lives are over, it is not surprising that for most people around the world, retirement security is a significant, if not the most significant, financial goal. Retirement security is also an important international issue because of aging populations, shrinking or minimal growth in working-age populations, and public pensions that are either underfunded or under stress.

Around the world, defined contribution plans are replacing defined benefit plans, and thus employers are clearly placing the funding — as well as the financial and investment risks — squarely on their employees. Although the amounts differ in each country, retirement income typically comes from three sources: government programs, employer-supported pensions, and individuals’ savings.

Because each component is involved in providing retirement benefits, we asked CFA Institute Financial NewsBrief readers who should bear the primary responsibility for a well-funded retirement. Of the 814 who responded to our poll, an overwhelming majority (roughly 82%) believe that individual retirement investors have the ultimate responsibility for financing their own retirement liability. The remaining 18% of respondents were split between employers (11%) and governments (7%).


Who should bear the primary responsibility for a well-funded retirement?

Poll: Who should bear the primary responsibility for a well-funded retirement?


Do you want to participate in future polls? Sign up for the CFA Institute Financial NewsBrief.

If you liked this post, don’t forget to subscribe to the Enterprising Investor.


All posts are the opinion of the author. As such, they should not be construed as investment advice, nor do the opinions expressed necessarily reflect the views of CFA Institute or the author’s employer.

Tags: ,

About the Author(s)
Robert Stammers, CFA

Robert Stammers, CFA, is director of Investor Education at CFA Institute, which includes management of the Inside Investing Blog. Previously, he was the principal for his founded company A2O Consulting where he consulted to aide real estate owners, lenders, and syndicators, develop and analyze structured real estate investments. There, Stammers developed strategy for obtaining debt and preferred equity capital as well as created finance-related marketing materials and research papers for various clients. He has written more than 100 articles on various financial and investment topics for several investment periodicals, such as Forbes and Investopedia. Stammers served as a senior equity analyst at Long Term Short Term, Inc, where he was responsible for the creation of new investment tools and instructional products to provide the revenues for two new investment education companies. As a senior executive for several institutional fund managers, he was the portfolio manager for a real estate fund, a private timber fund, and several pension fund separate accounts. Stammers holds a BA in economics from Connecticut College and an MBA from Emory University.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close