Best of 2014: CFA Institute Asia Pacific Investment Content
Asia Pacific is a region of invigorating growth, not only in terms of the economies in the region, but also in terms of membership and candidacies in the CFA Program. Below is a selection from our Asia Pacific investment-related content in 2014. I have grouped them under two themes for ease of reading.
1. Investment Skills for Investors in Asia and around the World
For investors looking to expand their horizon to Asia, or simply polishing their skills investing in Asia, the following could come in handy:
- “How to Read between the Lines of Asian Financial Statements”
- “How to Invest in China: Five Myths Stock Investors Should Ignore”
Many of the following pieces are relevant for investors around the world but the insights have been informed by experiences gained from investing in the Asia Pacific region.
- “Seven Essential Steps in Portfolio Management”
- “How Your Behavior Can Affect Your Finances” (ANC/Yahoo! Philippines News)
- “A New Approach to Estimating Variations in the Equity Risk Premium (Take 15 Series)” (CFA Institute)
- “Better Credit Metrics for Emerging Markets” (CFA Institute Magazine)
- “Generous Profits: Social Enterprise Investing Blurs Traditional Lines between Business and Charity” (CFA Institute Magazine)
Some of the pieces are certainly meant for the global audience but developed from events in the region either organized or sponsored by CFA Institute.
- “Nobel Laureate Robert Engle on High-Frequency Trading and Portfolio Management”
- “Nobel Laureate Robert Engle on VaR, Systemic Risk, and Liquidity”
- “Nobel Laureate Myron Scholes on the Common Mistakes Research Analysts Make”
- “Nobel Laureate Myron Scholes on the Black–Scholes Option Pricing Model”
2. Market Development and Industry Trends in the Asia Pacific Region
We have focused our attention on some regional development, such as the Shanghai-Hong Kong Stock Connect.
- “Trends in Asian Wealth Management (Take 15 Series)” (CFA Institute)
- “What’s Wrong with the Asian Wealth Management Industry?”
- “Shanghai Express: Will the Shanghai-Hong Kong Stock Connect Be a Transformational Breakthrough?”
The risk and reward of investing in China is of great interest to many around the world and we’ve got that covered for you.
- “Where to Invest in China: Four Powerful Trends Long-Term Investors Can’t Ignore”
- “Is China Heading towards a Financial Crisis?”
- “Shadow Banking Is Hurting China’s Banks — And That’s a Good Thing”
Abenomics has been a hot-button issue around the globe as how the world’s third-largest economy performs has worldwide implications.
- “BOJ Asset Purchases: Is Japan Sowing Seeds of Next Asset Bubble?”
- “Japan Enters Recession: Should We Be Surprised?”
- “Nomura’s Richard Koo on Balance Sheet Recessions and the QE Trap (Video)”
With the election of Narendra Modi and the enthusiasm he generated among investors at home and abroad, India was in investors’ crosshairs for much of 2014. I hope our coverage has reflected the hope of a better India to come with some more objective assessments of what realistically can be accomplished in the near term.
- “India and the Road Ahead”
- “The End of Quantitative Easing, the Outlook for Emerging Markets, and the Rupee” (CFA Institute: India Investment Conference 2014)
- “A Changing Global Energy Landscape — Implications for India” (CFA Institute: India Investment Conference 2014)
- “Reality Check: What Is India’s New Budget Telling Investors?”
Last but not least, we kept an eye on some interesting industry developments in the region, namely hedge funds in China and impact investing in India.
- ‘A Start of Something Big?’ New Reforms Aim to Boost China’s Hedge Fund Sector” (CFA Institute Magazine)
- “Impact Investing in India: Poised to Grow?”
If you liked this post, don’t forget to subscribe to the Enterprising Investor.
All posts are the opinion of the author. As such, they should not be construed as investment advice, nor do the opinions expressed necessarily reflect the views of CFA Institute or the author’s employer.