As our friends at MarketPsych note, January is the most optimistic month of the year, making it a perfect time to take a look at your resume or CV, whether you expect to be searching for a job any time soon or not. Reflect on what achievements from last year should be included in your self-marketing collateral and which from 10 or more years ago may not be as relevant in 2013.
Listen to this podcast for suggestions on:
- How to highlight your soft skill strengths in your resume.
- How to strike the right balance between explaining responsibilities in previous jobs and drawing attention to specific successes at those jobs.
- How to format your resume.
- How to use the executive summary space on your resume.
In the podcast, you’ll hear Jared mention “How Great Leaders Inspire Action,” a TED talk given by Simon Sinek. There are several additional resources from the CFA Institute Career Resources Library that you might find helpful as well, if reviewing your resume or contemplating a job search is part of your plan for 2013. Some examples include:
- Secrets of a Professional Resume Writer (Webcast)
- Insider Tips for Resume Writing (PDF)
- Becoming Client Focused in Your Job Search (PDF)
- (Re-)Framing Your Skills for a Job Search or Career Change (Webcast)
- Career Conversations: Job Searching and the Older Job Seeker (Podcast)
- Career Conversations: Preparing for a Job Search (Podcast)
Please note that the content of this site should not be construed as investment advice, nor do the opinions expressed necessarily reflect the views of CFA Institute.